#73: Ari Herstand - Author of How to Make It in the New Music Business
Ari Herstand is a musician, blogger, and author. In December 2016, he released How to Make It in the New Music Business. The book is currently high on the Amazon charts for music business books and is used in university classrooms. Ari takes his experiences, successes, and failures and turned them into one of the most informative books you can get on creating a career in today's music business.
I had a great conversation with Ari, who was full of energy and enthusiasm. Ari dispels some common myths about the music industry and delivers an often much-needed wake-up call to artists of any genre. I love Ari's tone and delivery. His book and blog, as well as this conversation, are a straight-forward, occasionally harsh, but always-inspiring kick in the pants. He makes points that we all need to hear, and he does it with the purest of intentions. Enjoy!
This episode is sponsored by Splice. Splice is the creative hub for modern musicians. Head over to splice.com/afrodjmac and use the code: AFRODJMAC to get a free month of Splice Sounds.
- Official Site - Ari's official web site and main hub to all of his work.
- Ari's Take - A wide variety of advice for musicians, producers, and performers straight from Ari's own experience.
- How to Make It in the New Music Business - Indispensable and essential book for anyone looking to make a career with music. I recommend the audio book version, read by Ari himself.
- Brassroots District - Ari's new musical project, a throwback soul-funk band. Definitely take a look to see the clear and intentional "artistic message" of the project.
- Digital Distribution - Ari's extensive breakdown of the various ways to digitally release your music.
- How to Get Hired or Fired - Important read if you want the job.
- How to Negotiate - This is an important skill to learn for your career.